Message to the Graduation Class of 2018
On behalf of the Board of Governors, I am pleased to report that the University has achieved several important milestones. This came about with perseverance and hard work. We obtained full accreditation from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) for the following programmes, as well as additional recognition from international bodies:
- Medical Degree Programme in Collaboration with the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland: Recognition from the Malaysian Medical Council and the Irish Medical Council.
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy programme: Recognition from the World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT).
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) programme: Recognition from the Malaysian Medical Council. This is the first and only such four-year US-style graduate entry school in the country and provides an alternate pathway in medical education.
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics and Postgraduate Diploma in Bioinformatics programmes
- Certificate in Foundation in Science programme
Besides the above,
- Establishment of the Perdana University Centre for Psychological Medicine in collaboration with Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, UK. The centre has published 17 scientific papers in leading international and local journals and 2 book chapters within a short span of one and a half years.
- SETARA Rating in 2017 – In January 2018, the Ministry of Education awarded Perdana University a SETARA rating of 4 Star, placing it amongst the ranks of other top public and private Universities established much earlier than us.
As we go into the seventh year, much more is expected by the students and the Board of Governors. The Management and Faculty must put in extra effort to expand our academic programmes and increase the number of students.
The Board is doing its best to satisfy the requirements of the Faculty and staff. Despite not achieving any operational surplus in the financials since its inception, the Directors of Academic Medical Centre Sdn. Bhd. and the Board of Governors are committed to ensuring that the project will continue seamlessly. Establishing a great teaching institution, especially one which will be known for its quality and withstand the test of time, is a slow process. But we are confident of ultimately achieving success.
The future of this University depends on a concerted effort by ALL stakeholders. Only through hard work, determination and loyalty will we see the right results.
To the graduands, I offer my heartiest congratulations. Strive hard to fulfill your dreams through your own innovative and creative initiatives and through seeking only the best that knowledge can offer. Continue learning even after you commence working. Knowledge is always out there for those who want it.
And finally, when you look back in life, make sure that it is one that is filled with joy and happiness.
YBhg Tan Sri Datuk Dr Mohan Swami, JP
Click here to view the full text of the Pro-Chancellor’s speech at the Perdana University 3rd Convocation ceremony, held on the 7th October 2018.